Sunday, September 19, 2010

Run to the Hills


I haven't blogged much lately, but it's not due to lack of training. A wonky internet connection has limited my online activities, so instead of surfing the net all hours of the day, I spend my time looking for work (hire me, people) and figuring out amazing ways to earn money for new running shoes. Who knew used textbooks were worth so much?

Today I joined seven other runners at the Fundy Rocks Half-Marathon, or, as Alex Coffin calls it, "the toughest half-marathon in New Brunswick." My only experience in the Fundy Trail was a quick walk through three years ago, so I had no clue what to expect. I had my sights on a 1:35 half, but without any idea what I was up against, I could only guess at a finishing time. As long as it felt like a honest effort, I wasn't going to complain.

The half marathon was divided into two out and back sections. The first section followed the roadway from the Fundy Trail Interpretive Centre to a dead end, and then ran in the other direction towards the park entrance. Alex stressed anyone could cut the race in half if they found it too tough, but I felt confident that I could easily handle the course. How hard could it be?

The race started out fast, thanks to a break testing, 14% grade downhill. I let my legs run free, and bolted to the bottom of the hill, only to be greeted by a 16% grade climb about 800 meters in. I slowed to an absolute crawl, my legs not yet warmed up to the task ahead of me. Sweat poured down my brow, and I wondered if I was going to make it through the day in one piece. It was the toughest hill I have ever climbed, and I was less than two miles into the run. I was in for a long morning.

The initial shock to the system eventually wore off, and I focused on the task at hand. The run became somewhat easier (if you call 9% or 10% grade hills easy), and I moved relatively quickly, pulling away from the other runners as I made my way through the first section of the course. Physically, I felt fine, but mentally I questioned whether or not I had enough gas in the tank to keep my current pace. The only thought in my mind was to make it back to the starting point and hope the second half of the run was easier.

I almost didn't make it back. Running up a 16% grade hill was bad, but running down the same hill was brutal. I couldn't go full out for fear of losing control, but holding back pounded my calves into jelly. If that wasn't bad enough, I had to run up a mile long hill immediately afterwards. I pushed as hard as I could, but stalled before I reached the summit. I was gassed.

I continued walking and running, but it was clear that my best efforts were behind me. One of the course cars passed me and warned that the second place runner was catching up, but I didn't have the strength to defend my position. I croaked, "He can have it," and continued my struggle, hoping I would see the final turnaround point before I keeled over. Unfortunately, it was located at the bottom of ANOTHER 16% grade hill. I seriously considered dropping out, but decided against it once Alex offered me some Gatorade. I swigged back as much as I could, hit the hill, and headed home.

By this point I was firmly in second place (I was passed with authority before the turnaround), but I was happy to still be on my feet. In fact, I was pretty impressed with myself for keeping it together for as long as I did. This was easily the toughest course I had ever encountered, and just making it to the finish line was a feat in itself. I ran as hard as my legs allowed for the final few kilometers, and hit the finish line with a smile on my face. I missed my goal time by fifteen minutes, but I was done!

The Fundy Rocks Half Marathon is definitely not a race for anyone who wants a PB, but it's tailor made for those crazy few who like a good challenge. The hills are steep and relentless, and will give your quads and calves a killer workout. I'm still hurting from the run twelve hours later, but I am already looking forward to doing it again. It's definitely one of a kind in New Brunswick, and I'll be hard pressed to top the experience any time soon. Hopefully a few others will have a chance to experience it next year.



No comments:

Post a Comment