Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Running Fast, Running Lost

It's 10:51PM, and I am sitting at the kitchen table with an empty bag of chocolate peanuts sitting in front of me. The problem started last night when I went to Sobey`s for a snack run, and ended about an hour ago when I finished the bag. Hopefully I got the indulgences out of my system for the next little bit, because I am slowly starting to gain back the weight I lost during my first few weeks of training. No need to start backtracking now, methinks.

After a week of relative inactivity, I decided it was time to put the pedal to the medal and get a few solid runs under my belt. I set the tone Monday with a brisk dash through a few West Side neighbourhoods. I decided to dress a little lighter than usual, and I was rewarded with a set of limber limbs and a faster than normal pace. Guess it`s time to ditch the long johns for the year.

Tuesday night`s run started out promising, but turned sour about ten minutes in. I decided to map out a route using the Google Maps Distance Calculator, but didn`t bother to make note of the names of each street. Somehow I managed to get lost, and spent part of my time running on railroad tracks and dirt roads in the middle of nowhere. I eventually managed to get my bearings, but not before I tacked an few extra minutes (and a few nasty hills) to my run. Next time I’ll write the street names on my hand before venturing outside.

Today I decided it was time to treat myself with a trip to the UNBSJ gym. I didn’t stay too long, but the few cross training activities that I managed to run through were the most I’ve done in ages. The fast(er) 5K I ran on the treadmill wasn’t too shabby either. Hopefully I can add a gym day or two to my daily routine in the near future.

I’ll leave you for now, but if you’re still looking for some good local blogging, I suggest that you take a look at KVC Marathon Founder, written by local race organizer John Kelley. It’ll give you the scoop on the run I plan on tackling later this year, and will also take a look at some of the events he plans through his company River Bay Adventures. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment