Sunday, February 28, 2010

Back to the Blog

So it's the end of my second month of training, and my motivation to post is starting to lag. I've been getting some decent running under my belt, but it hasn't translated to many posts. I'll have to remedy that situation in the coming weeks.

Thus far, my adventures have been relatively unplanned, but I expect that will change shortly. Booking a few races has changed my focus, forcing me to think about mileage and speed work. For example, if I want to run a sub 22:30 at the Paddy's Day 5K, I need to get in a long run of 12-15k and a few speed sessions that match or exceed my planned 5k pace. Of course, I know I should have trained like this for the last two months, but my planned pace is relatively pedestrian (I hope) and it shouldn't take more than the next two weeks to whip me into that shape, if I am not there already. Let's hope I'm not humbled come race day.

Mind you, I will not be winging it when it comes to my training for the marathon. I expect that by 20 weeks out I will have put together a training plan that will get me to the starting line in sub 3:10 shape. I am not sure which method I will follow yet, but I am still exploring my options. I'll likely cobble something together based on the advice of Jeff Galloway or Runner's World, but I'll be happy to take any advice my reader's have to offer. Any takers?

This week of running wasn't anything to write home about, but I'll give you a few highlights. I've started stretching a little better before and after my runs, and I've been surprised with how much it has improved my recovery and over limberness. I was never a big stretcher back in the day, but I've gotten better ever since a massage therapist chewed me out because of my gnarled post-race hamstrings. Never argue with a person who can cause you great pain.

Wednesday's run included three repeat miles a little faster than race pace. I thought of pushing it a little harder (there was some gas left in the tank) but decided to save some energy for the rest of the week. Good thing I did, because the West Striders run included lots of hill and head wind. Ditto for today's run, which was the soggiest I've gotten in recent memory. Say what you will about snow, at least it doesn't soak you to the bone when you're running. I almost quit five minutes in, but I mentally massaged my way into a decent head space and managed to run an extra kilometer. Good for me.

Expect a few more blog entries in March. I slacked off quite a bit in February, but I think spring will inspire me to write a little more. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment