Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Race Recap, Part Two - The Big Day (Miles 1-13)

It's Wednesday afternoon, and I am just getting in after a great day of work. I spent a lot of time lately beating the streets in search of a job, and now I am at a point where I am almost too busy. It's going to get worse before it gets better, but at least I know I'll have money for Christmas, my wedding, and my mortgage (not necessarily in that order).

Anyway, back to the running. I woke up the day of the KV Challenge freezing cold, and didn't get much warmer as I quietly prepared for the long day ahead of me. My first step outside sent additional chills through my body, which worried my multi layered body to no end. If I was this cold in a jacket, splash pants and winter hat, hold cold would I be when I stripped down to shorts and a long sleeve shirt?

I hitched a ride to the starting line with Billy and the Babes (my mother's marathon relay team), and arrived about half an hour before our scheduled start. Temperatures were still low, and a brisk cross wind made it feel even colder. I tried to stay warm as I stood in line for my chip, my thoughts alternating between the wind, the cold, and the race. I was ready to give it my all, but the conditions were not cooperating. How would it affect my race?

Mile 1 - 6 - Hampton Or Bust
The race started about thirty minutes later than expected - apparently they had issues with the race chips - and I tried to make up for it by blasting out of the gates. I didn't think I was running very fast, but decided to slow down once I realized I clocked 6:30 for my first mile. I then proceeded to run the second mile too slow (around a 7:20), finally settling into my 7:10 goal pace around mile three. There were a lot of runners in front of me, and I was passed by more than a few once I found my groove. One fellow marathoner chatted with me briefly before flying by, noting that he drank six Corona's the night before the run. I laughed in response, but wondered whether I would catch up to him later in the race. That's no way to carbo-load, if you ask me.

I held my pace for the rest of the section, slowing down for the occasional water stop or rough patch of road. I almost sprained my ankle as I ran through a Hampton construction site - I cursed loudly when my foot twisted out from under me - but aside from that, no issues.

Mile 6-13 - Almost Perfect, but not Quite
Hampton was the first transition point for the marathon relay, which meant that I suddenly had a whole new set of runners in front of me. Some of those runners were slower than their first leg counterparts, and I ended up passing several people before I left town. It meant nothing in the standings, but it gave me a little mental boost nonetheless. I felt like I was moving pretty fast.

Sadly, I wasn't moving fast enough. I held a perfect, Boston qualifying pace for six miles, but slowly fell back with each passing mile. My 7:10 per mile pace dropped to 7:15, then 7:20, and pretty soon I was a minute off pace. Luckily, I saw this coming the morning the first cross wind hit me, so I didn't put up a fight. Instead, I resolved to have a great run, and aimed for a new marathon PB. A sub 3:23 was definitely in reach; I just needed to hit the finish line without hitting the wall.

Unfortunately, I just hit a writing wall (I need to make dinner), so I will finish my recap tonight or tomorrow. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment