Monday, October 18, 2010

Race Recap, Part One - The Pre Race

So, as many of you already know, I finished the KV Challenge 5th overall, in a time of 3:19.05. While I didn't qualify for Boston, I beat my personal best by four minutes and had a great time in the process. I'm going to spend the next few days recapping the race, starting with the pre-race festivities. I'd do it all in one shot, but there's a lot of ground to cover, and I am working all week. If all goes well, I will finish the recap by mid-week.

The Pre-Race

The race weekend officially started with the pre-race pasta dinner, which took place at the Bill McGuire Centre in Renforth. The place with packed with runners, and I spent much of my time wandering around the room, catching up with people I've run with over the course of the summer. I especially enjoyed catching up with Nick Power, a former baseball teammate who was running his first marathon. He looked like he was in great shape, and based on our conversation I figured he would do quite well in the marathon. So much for winning my age group.

The night was capped with the Saint John Track Club Awards. Alex Coffin and Bill McMackin handed awards out to runners of all-ages, which reinforced the fact that our region is a breeding ground for top notch athletes. I was especially happy to see septuagenarian Frank Kelly take home a trophy; he seemed genuinely touched to take home an award, and I can't think of anyone more deserving. How many seventy-year olds do you know that can run half-marathons in less than two hours?

Filled with pasta and good vibes, I made my way back to my sister's house, where I relaxed, surfed the web, and read. I didn't care that it was Saturday night; I had a big day ahead of me, and I wasn't about to ruin it by staying up late.

That's it for now - check back tomorrow for scenes from the race!


3 comments:

  1. Great placing in the race. :) Looking forward to the rest of the report.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so very nice to see you again. And thanks so much for blogging about your training... Congratulations on a great time!From following you, however, I know you were definitely in Boston Qualifying shape (if not better). Take heart! Maintain that fitness and you'll be flying on a less obstructive day. If you are ever in Manhattan, I live close to central park so I would love to do some Jackie O Res loops with you and catch up even more! All the best, Nick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer - thanks for the comment! 2011 is our year, I can feel it!

    Nick - congrats on an amazing run! Did you register for Boston, or are you going to wait for 2012? Also, how often do you venture back to this neck of the woods?

    ReplyDelete